Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

The weather has been great since the Pinehurst trip, but there hasn't been enough time for golf. And the weather has almost been too good- not enough rain.  When the snow finally melted, the course looked better than it had ever been.  Since then, however, a dry spring has made things look a little too much like mid-summer.  Not enough green and the recent aeration has left the greens looking a  little ragged.

After Pinehurst, I switched to a set of Hogan Apex grind irons from the early 90s. Coupled with my new swing, I hit them well and had a couple of good rounds, including an early morning 73.  But I still have too many round in the low 40s.  In the meantime, I purchased a used Louisville Golf SmartDriver with 11 degree loft and a graphite shat that I have been hotting very well.  Louisville Golf is one of the last persimmon clubmakers around (Joe Powell golf in Florida is the other).  The problem is that I feel guilty using a graphite shafted driver so I keep looking for one with a steel shaft that I can hit almost as far and consistently.  I tried a Louisville Golf Classic 50s driver this afternoon without much luck, so the search continues.  I have switched over to Classic 50s fairway woods (3&5) with Dynamic gold shafts that I really like and will keep in the bag for a while. I also am currently using a Ram Tom Watson 58* sand wedge that I like a lot.  I switched out the Apex Grind irons today for a set of Powerbilt Scotch blades (don't know the year- probably late 80s or 90s) that I may keep and take to Scotland.  They are a muscleback blade with added weight in the toe.  This seems to suit me for some reason- more shots missed on the toe than the heel, I guess.

The new clubhouse at my home course is almost done- finally!  The next post should include a review of the facilities and the micro brewery beer that will be featured there.

No comments:

Post a Comment